Alright. Its been on my mind lately to start a blog. Why? I guess because there are lots of thing going on in our lives that make me happy, that I find interesting, or exciting, and a blog seems like a nice place to share them. I used to keep a journal, and that was rewarding in its own way, but really I think I'm more into sharing what gets me excited then I am in recording my thoughts solely for myself. 

A nice example of something that got me smiling was something we did last Sunday; Nancy and I participated in something called the Tour de Farm over in Shoreham, VT. It was a bit of a drive for us, but we really enjoyed ourselves. It had all the makings of a nice day: Beautiful countryside, a really pleasant bike ride, encounters with friends new and old, and the celebration of local food and agriculture. The bummer is that when I went to take my first photo I discovered that I neglected to charge the battery beforehand. 

With a variety of routes to choose from we chose the 28 mile route which brought us to about 5 or 6 farms over the course of the ride, including a dairy farm that produces really yummy drinkable yogurt, a vegetable farm operated by one of our state legislators, two apple orchards (Champlain Orchards being one of them, owned by our pal Bill, who we got to see), and a small farm that has draft horses, sheep, laying and meat chickens, and pigs. 

It was great to be in the company of a crowd of cyclists-- a rare experience here in the sparsely populated state of Vermont, and it was great to celebrate local food at the same time.

Our day ended with a warm and yummy meal at the Shoreham Inn pub with a few friends we met along the ride.


Comments

Popular Posts